History of the IAL
The Institute for Drive Systems and Power Electronics (IAL = Institut für Antriebssysteme und Leistungselektronik) was established in 2001 by joining the Institute for Electrical Machines and the Institute for Power Electronics.
The Institute for Electrical Machines of the Technical University of Hannover was established in 1924. It was developed from the first electrotechnical institute set up already in 1884. Prof. Dr.-Ing. K. Humburg was the director of the institute until 1954. Thanks to the extraordinary scientific achievements of Prof. Dr.-Ing. H. Jordan, the institute gained world-wide reputation during the sixties. On the basis of the rotating field theory, Jordan developed calculation schemes for magnetically excited vibrations and noise, pulsation torques and other parasitic effects of harmonic fields which basically form the state of the art up to this day. Since 1975 Prof. Dr.-Ing. H.O. Seinsch further improved the international reputation thanks to his activities in the field of drives with induction and synchronous machines. In parallel, since 1980 Prof. Dr.-Ing. H.-D. Stölting is involved in research activities concerning small electrical machines, and among others, in outstanding investigations concerning their miniaturization. Problems concerning drives with induction and synchronous machines as well as small and micro motors and actuators are one of the major topics of the institute's current research activities.
The Chair for Basics of Electrical Engineering and Power Electronics was founded in 1978 and was further developed by Prof. Dr.-Ing. K. Heumann in the field of teaching and research in the succeeding years. Due to intense developments within this discipline, the independent Institute for Power Electronics was established in 1991 under the direction of Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Nestler. Current research activities focus on power electronic systems and their control designed for applications in controlled drive systems and in the field of electric power supply.
The creation of one joint institute, while maintaining the independence of the single disciplines, reflects the technological development towards complete integrated systems. The present organizational structure allows, on the one hand, a very close co-operation and offers, on the other hand, very distinct expert competences in both disciplines.